I saw this thread: How often are SO new versions deployed?
- You are using CI and unit tests, right?
- Do you do anything more before pushing out new releases?
- What kind of guidelines do you follow when writing unit tests?
Basically, I’m wondering how you make sure that each release is good enough.
- How do you share data when developing with a remote team? Geoff talks about how they started with the Database Project type, but moved to SQL scripts, ending with a migration tool. Jon gets to say “idempotent”.
- Geoff and Jarrod talk about how they’ve moved form Subversion to Mercurial.
- Jon asks how code moves from local development to a production server. Geoff talks about the build and deployment process.
- Kevin asks how much the process has changed over the years.
- Geoff talks about how features first hit Meta, then the “others” tier (everything but StackOverflow), then to StackOverflow.
We practice FDD: faith driven development. We believe our code will work.
The software development process is very much test-orientated as I believe that SO engages tens of thousands of regression testers, who are happy to be paid with virtual currency.