I have a USB sound device that used to work back when I ran other versions of Ubuntu. Now I can only partially see the device. I have tried many things I saw in Google searches, but none solve my problem.
cat /proc/asound/cards sees the device as card 0
- aplay -l shows C-Media USB Audio as card 0
- alsamixer sees the device
- asoundconf list does not show the device
- sound preferences shows no hardware
- asoundconf-gtk set the device to pulseaudio, but fails with python errors ending in
ValueError: too many values to unpackin the function set_default_card. I think this is the cause of my problem.
The device is a Sony virtual phones wireless headphone amplifier.
I had a similar problem. I found a bug in the asoundconf script. (It did not allow comments in some configuration file(s) after a parameter-value-set.)
You can find a fixed version at http://www.tu-harburg.de/~sedt1131/asoundconf which solved the problem for me. (I have not found a proper way to report the bug, so I started by uploading the fixed version to my webspace…)
I disabled the onboard sound and USB worked. I sometimes have to
‘alsa restart’ to get it to work.
I had this issue today and entering
pulseaudio -k in the terminal did not fix it completely, as I also needed to end whatever audio mixer was associated with my desktop environment; for KDE, for example, you enter in the terminal
killall kmixpulseaudio -kkmix
and then your USB sound device should be detected.